Monday, October 11, 2010

Ride what you can – second thoughts, hesitation and shame

Embarrassment, uneasiness, shyness – these are the feelings that start to overwhelm me when I think about country. For the first couple of days, I thought it’s going to be funny - just look at Dolly Parton.

But then a reflection came – what if I am misunderstood? What if somebody doesn’t get the humorous part? What if somebody thinks I really LIKE country? Even worse, I write a blog, so I not only like country but I LOVE it. Possibly I’m an obsessive! What then? Will I ever be invited to any normal party? Will I still be able to have a normal conversation on something more challenging than the weather forecast and crops this year?

Seriously, the type of music you listen to attests to who you are, at least among the groups of young people I would like to be associated with. And what is the image of a person who listens to country?! Just look at Dolly Parton!

I started to desperately look for a justification of my sudden interest in country. I need to tie it to something the influential social groups I aspire to would respect. Well, I got it! Skateboarding! Here's a proof!   Jason Adams does his magic and Hank Williams III does his! The video (“Black out”)  was provided by Black Label but the music was provided by the good gens of Hank Williams III, son of Hank Williams Jr. and grandson of Hank Williams Sr. who continues the family business of neotraditional country. In his free time he does punk and metal music, unfortunately nobody saw him on a skateboard. 

So far.  
It is interesting how country got a new life thanks to similar exotic combinations. Kickflip 180 doesn’t really rhyme with Nashville. Well, maybe it doesn't rhyme but it works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment